November and December were busy months, so the Starwind got a bit neglected. She had quite the moldy aroma when I slid open the companionway for the first time in over a month.
I still haven't made the trip to FastenAll to pick up the all-thread I need to put the last bolt into the heat exchanger after it's third and most-recent repair, but the engine was still running fine if you don't mind the odor from the small exhaust leak. (At least it covers the mold smell.)
We were hoping to start the year with a sail, but it was far too gusty in Kemah Sunday. Instead we started the year with a bottom scrubbing.
Our diver chiseled an estimated 200-300 pounds of these cranky crustaceans off the hull. Actually, he only made it around 3/4 of the hull and then his scraper broke. He's coming back to finish the last section later this week.
Accumulating this many barnacles in a year is not a good thing. We obviously have no bottom paint left at all, so a haul-out is imminent.
The other problem is that since there has been no rain this year, the marina has been extra salty. That sped up electrolysis, and we had no zinc whatsoever left on the prop shaft. The prop was already pink and getting a little soft when we had it checked at the last bottom cleaning. Now it's completely porous and falling apart.
I wasn't really wanting to buy a new propeller first thing in 2012, but it looks like I've got to find one this week if we want to do any sailing soon.
I guess it's time to get back to work and finish my wiring projects as well.