Well, I finally did my first video job using the Sony NEX-6.
I normally put a Rode shotgun mic on a stand near the person being interviewed, but as the NEX-6 does not have a mic input I decided to take a chance on the Sony ECM-XYST1M stereo microphone that fits the NEX-6 smart shoe. Results were pretty good, but as with all camera-mounted mics, the further the camera is away from the person being interviewed, the more ambient noise you pick up.
I was hoping to use my 50mm Summilux for the project, but due to space constraints I used a 28mm Summicron, which has an effective fov of 42mm on the NEX-6. I had a large window on the left side of my subject and a 500w softbox on the right side.
Project settings were 1920x1080p, 24fps, f2.8, 1/50s, ISO100.
Lighting was good. Sound was good. Motion was good. My only complaint was that having to use a wide angle lens, when people gesticulated, their hands looked very large. Of course, this is why it's generally suggested to use a 75mm or longer lens for portraits -- it flattens the image. I have three interviews left to shoot, so I'm going to attempt to find a room large enough to use at least the 50mm. I'd love to try my 90mm Elmarit, but on the crop sensor that's just not going to happen indoors.
The good news is that the NEX-6 has proved a very capable and portable video solution.
One thing has always bugged me about the digital M series. I use vintage or non-Leica lenses, and one morning I might remember to manually set the camera to a 28mm f2 lens, but then I'd shoot all week, switching lenses multiple times, and the EXIF data of all my shots would say 28mm f2 Summicron. I know, it's not THAT big of a deal, and it doesn't affect the RAW file, but I just wanted the same features and benefits someone with a new, coded 50mm Summilux f1.4 would get. However, being cheap, I did not want to send all my lenses off at $150 a pop to get them professionally coded.
Back in January I popped a roll of Kodak TMAX 400 into the Leica M3 to try it out. I'd had some trouble with TMAX 100 and Ilford Delta 100 being underexposed when shooting indoors and ending up really grainy and losing detail. However, I'd never developed 400 speed film, so I was nervous about how it would react in Caffenol-C.
I don't know why, but I was really slow with finishing this roll. The 24 shots ended up spanning four months, but I finally developed it last night.
The first shot was from a visit to Austin in January.
Then there was a picnic in Herman Park that took place in February.
Then there was a trip to Offats Bayou in March.
Followed by some goofing off around the house.
And finally some sailing in April on our new boat Gimme Shelter.
I was very pleased with the TMAX 400 in Caffenol-C. I used the same developing time I use for TMAX 100, but I added almost double the Vitamin C. The extra Vitamin C was just added on a whim after seeing the results some other users posted on the forums, not because of the 400 speed film.
I ended up with much better exposures with only slightly bigger grain than a well-exposed TMAX 100 shot. I'm really happy with them. I also switched to a plastic negative reel, which was so much easier to load than those stainless reels, and for the first time ever I had zero pink spots on my negatives. That made things a double success.
I've got to shoot through two more rolls of TMAX 100 and then a roll of Portra 160 and a roll of Gold 200. Then I think I'm switching to TMAX 400 full time for all my film work.